ARGH.
*hides away*
I started off my year of anime-watching with Durarara!!! I wasn't sure what to watch at the start of the year, but the interesting art of Durarara!!! caught my attention.
24 episode, 24 weeks.
"Mikado Ryūgamine is a young man who longs for the exciting life of the big city. At the invitation of his childhood friend Masaomi, he transfers to a school in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Masaomi warns him about people he doesn't want to cross in the city: a violent man dressed like a bartender, an information merchant, and a mysterious gang called "Dollars." And to top it off, Mikado witnesses an urban legend on his first day in the city: the "Black Rider," the supposedly headless driver of a black motorcycle. The narrative follows all of the characters equally, showing how their lives intersect, creating a greater plotline from what each character knows about a common incident. " -Wikipedia
Ratings : 8/10
(Recommended but lacking in bishounens)
Pretty fresh idea to feature an Irish death god in a female form. And well, you don't get Japanese featuring Dullahans that often. You only see that in Western cartoons or maybe movies?
*read Skulduggery Pleasant's Mortal Coil, Dullahan made a minor appearance*
As usual, you will find the BL pairings. The common pairings are from Shizuo and Izaya. But I'm not gonna have a say on it in this post. No further elaborations.
I think this serious looking anime has its own hidden cuteness, especially the scenes when Celty actually goes *blush blush* (if you can see it) and of course some innocent moments of Mikado.
Generally, it's a fresh idea, fresh plot. Haven't really came to a point to think that what would happen when Dullahan loses its head, and what happen when Dullahan is actually a..
*no spoilers*
The last time I came across characters with extremely accurate predictions on what would others do next/in future was in Spiral. They sounded insane to me, but it's actually what drove me so suspense-ed about what can the character do to the story.
This anime is basically about insane epic things, but yet logical. Characters which you have never thought of appearing in reality just sounded so logical under the author's script. Bits and pieces of every small story played by significant/insignificant characters are made up into a huge picture, without glitches. This is what the author Ryohgo Narita is pro in doing.
I just love how insane were the amazing characters - from Zero-actually-Hero Mikado, Good-Boy-Gangster Kida, Innocent-Killer Anri, Handsome-Slanky-Adrenaline-Pumped-Strong-Ass Shizuo and of course Izaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaya.
And this was why I was eager to watch Baccano! - award winning anime of the same author.
Released on April Fool 2010, no it's just not an April Fool for all Maid-sama! fans out there. Including me. I stopped at Chapter 20+ of the manga, and for the sake of enjoying the most out of this anime, I went for a 1 day marathon to complete the Chapter 50+(till that date) manga.
"Seika High School, once an all-boys school notorious for its wild students and for generally being a terrifying place for girls, has recently become a co-ed school. With the female population still a minority and living in fear of the over-the-top antics of the males, Misaki Ayuzawa takes it into her own hands to reform the school and allow the girls to feel safe in the rough environment.
Training, studying and even becoming the first female student council president of the school, Misaki has gained a reputation among the male students body as an uptight boy-hating dictator and as a shining hope for the teachers and fellow female students.
However, despite her tough-as-nails appearance, she secretly works part-time at a maid cafe in order to support her family. Unfortunately, her hard-earned reputation is threatened when the popular, attractive, and somewhat impassive Usui Takumi takes an interest in her after discovering her in a maid uniform after school.
Afterwards he starts to rescue her from many mishapped situations and she slowly starts to have affections for him, even if she doesn't realize it." -Wikipedia
(If you love the manga ALOT, I mean it, ALOT, please don't watch the animated)
When I started watching the anime, it definitely gave me the 'wow' factor. As in,
"Wow. The art sucks."
I don't know but I've watched animes from JC Staff - Otome Youkai Zakuro, Shakugan no Shana and Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wa Shitteiru. They sort of simplified the manga art from the original artist. I have no say in Shakugan no Shana ( I don't read the manga/novel) , since they spiced simplified things up with glowing fiery flames effects, but still you can see how simple is the anime art, minus the Tron-like glows.
Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wa Shitteiru was just scrap. Scrap of art. I may not be a very expert artsy person, but I do appreciate art. And originality.
Oh my eyes. It's so PAIN. *gorge out her eyeballs*
That's why I couldn't bear to continue watching the anime after first episode.
Going back to the topic, I think that the staff has done so well in still keeping most of the originality of the story. Though they randomly selected 1 manga chapter to be made into 1 anime episode, at least they didn't alter much of the plot, only to reduce certain moments.
VERY UNLIKE Kuroshitsuji II. So I still can give an OK for the story of the anime.
But the ending was kinda.. Hanging.
I would have loved if they have continued revealing a bit of Usui's background. And yes, they ruined the Usui's background check episode. *crap* This anime ended with nothing being told about Usui's background, and I'm not proud for revealing this spoiler. It's just PATHETIC.
For those who were blinded with the hotness and gentleman-ness of Usui, please wake up from your mountainful of "kya~ kyaa~" moments throughout the anime, god damn, go read the manga and do a background check on your goody good good boyfriend.
But on the bright side, at least they didn't ruin the ending by faking up Usui as some sort of prince alien from some alien planet.
Good thing about leaving it hanging.
I would have loved this if the staff left Ciel and Sebastian's fate in confusion since Season 1, and never ever, ever mentioned about them again.
12 episodes, 12 weeks of wan dai fu craps.
Ah great, I can't find a synopsis for this crappy Season II in Wiki. Maybe it was just so crappy that no one wanted to write anything about it.
No, I'm not gonna write a thing for the synopsis.
Ratings: 5/10
(I'm still a fan of the manga. No matter what. Not even Season I)
I loved the gore and gruesome of more bloody scenes in this season. Yes, it's a vast improvement on blood volume compared to the first season. You can see how much is the difference from the first episode alone.
The only thing good about Season II was the Alice in Wonderland themed OVAs.
Just to remind you, Spiderman could have done better than this. Even SpiderPig too.
This anime is based on an otome game. You heard it. Otome game.
There's a babi girl in a Barbie world, Barbie world as in a world with all handsome Kens.
"Chizuru Yukimura heads to Kyoto to search for her father. While there, she witnesses a fight between Rasetsu and members of the Shinsengumi. The Shinsengumi take her into custody and, once learning she is the daughter of the doctor they are searching for, decide to keep her close at hand. Chizuru follows the Shinsengumi in their battles to help the shogunate."-Wikipedia
Ratings: 9/10 (for the handsome Kens), 5/10 (for the heavy Sejarah content)
(I can't give you the general ratings, because...
I stopped watching the anime after 5th episode)
._.
I'll just give a brief explanation. Try looking up for the handsome Kens in Google and you will realise a high degree of fabrication of the Kens appearance in reality. Oh yes, they actually made up an anime based on historical figures of Shinsengumi.
Can't imagine if ever one day our local anime industry grows, Malaysia will ever come out with an anime of local police historical figures like Dato' Musa Hassan. They really do need HEAVY fabrication on both appearance and backgrounds.
I reason why I couldn't continue watching the anime was that it was just too... boring. Other than displays of excellent swordmanship, swaying their extremely soft hair (they were helping to promote Sunsilk) as they fight, they also injected quite some element of the History, making the story abit slow and indigestable, for me. Only downloaded 6 episodes.
*lacking in Sejarah-ase*
Still, I will recommend this anime for anime watchers who are bishounen freaks and doesn't really bother of the content.
And some spin off of Hakuouki scenes. Love it. Thanks Wee for the links.
[Here 1] [Here 2]
*silently wiping away the nosebleed*
Wondergirls. They dance, they sing and, they fight.
LOL. This is not Japanese version Barbie movie.
"During the Westernization of an alternate Japan, humans and spirits coexist. To maintain harmony between the two, the Ministry of Spirits is established and humans and spirit representatives are chosen. Lieutenants Kei Agemaki, Riken Yoshinokazura, and Ganryu Hanakiri are chosen to be the human representatives and are partnered with Zakuro, Susukihotaru, and Bonbori and Hozuki, respectively. However, Zakuro cannot stand humans who accept Jesuit practices so easily and Agemaki has a severe fear of spirits. " -Wikipedia
Ratings : 7.5/10
(Recommended for Nekomimi fanatics and heroin based and bishies in soldier uniform!)
Honestly speaking, I watched this because it felt just so weird for not downloading and watching anything after Kuroshitsuji II ended. I couldn't deny the fact that I fell in love with the blonde guy with army green soldier unifrom which appeared on the promo images online, and only to find him a "wuzz" after watching the anime.
Story wise, it was kinda 75% predictable at most scenes, but amazingly kept me going on and on watching this due to its heavy suspense. Not romantic suspense, anyway.
JC Staff again, but I think there was QUITE some improvement. Except the fact that they still emmit the same simplified emptiness aura. The eyes... THE EYES WERE JUST TOO... ==
And most of the characters resembles someone in certain anime, mostly are from Ouran High School Host Club. And I've spent some time in Photoshop doing a brief summary on the resemblance.
I even thought the blonde guy actually came out from Hakushaku to Yousei!
And the following 3 animes were bought in Petaling Street in the 2 Sundays I went for my Pengajian Am crash course in KL.
If you are a fan Italian mafia, insane gunmen, blood and gore and immortality, this is yours. Insanity included.
"The series, often told from multiple points of view, is mostly set within a fictional United States during various time periods, most notably the Prohibition-era. It focuses on various people, including alchemists, thieves, thugs, Mafiosi and Camorristi, who are unconnected to one another. After an immortality elixir is recreated in 1930 Manhattan, the characters begin to cross paths, setting off events that spiral further and further out of control." -Wikipedia
For full plot synopsis, go Wikipedia.
Ratings : 7.5/10
This 2007 anime was based on an award winning novel, which is why it's just epic. I have not read the novel, neither did I read the manga, so I'll be commenting from the Baccano! marathon I had during STPM season.
As you can read in the above Wikipedia excerpt, the story was told in various points. Not only from different point of view, it's also told in different setting - time and place.
The first time I watched this, it was kinda confusing. Try jumping from one year to another, in just one episode. The time rotation was fast and rather.. *scratches head*
The ability of the author coming up with different stories from different point of views, totally unrelated at first, and finally connecting one another, and to produce a whole reationship of every single character's story, is just whoa.
I was on a marathon so switching between years 1931, 1932, 1933, 2001, and 1711 was a bit confusing at first, but it was a bit better when coming to the end of the 13 episodes.
*what's the point, lol*
The insanity of the anime kept me staying in front of the tv for long hours, left me wondering what would all the mad characters do. Like Russo and Claire.
Oh yes, I really liked Claire Stanfield, insane killer but still gentleman in heart. Daring and dashing. XD
Luck Gandor was cool too, suppressed and hidden madness despite of the gentleman looks. I loved his smile.
Each character in this story was finely created with their very own original personality and yet all shared the same trait - absurd. But this is just absurdly insane! Ironicity plays huge role in here.
Isaac : "Nee, Miria."
Miria : "Nani, Issac."
Isaac and Miria kept the story moving with their stupidity!
And whatmore, I've never thought that the narrator was somewhat related behind the scenes of the whole story!
Here are some of the narrator lines.
"Ultimately, where does this story begin, and when does it end?
Thats a foolish question, Carol.
By any chance, are you still searching for the main character to this story?
(Yes.)
Carol, free yourself from such fantasies.
Rid yourself of the illusion that stories have beginnings and endings.
Stories have no beginnings. Nor have they endings. All they have are facts of life of people making connections, interacting, influencing each other, and spreading out.
Stories must not have endings, Carol.
There are somethings that can only be told in a certain way.
(Then why stories have an ending?)
Because allowing the possibility for the story to go on is appealing? You could provide countless answers to that question. But suppose i were to give you an answer that was easy to understand, for your sake.
- because they are enjoyable."
Recommended. Please do watch. And read Wikipedia after that.
At first, I thought I bought the wrong disc.
What in the hell of an anime that was done in just 4 episodes. Since it's the disc is produced in Malaysia, I thought the title's has already missing the OVA wording.
After a few times thinking and came to a conclusion. If I were to not buy this here in Petaling Street, it will be a very long time the next time I'm gonna come back here to get it. It would have been out of stock!
So I bought it anyway. And it turned out that it's actually an anime which has only 4 episodes!
"Set in a post-apocalyptic world where violence, crime, genetic manipulation and other cruel scientific experiments have become common, the story focuses on four main characters who, through a series of coincidences, meet as they search for a way "below", looking for answers to their individual pasts." - Wikipedia
Ratings: 7.5/10
(Loaded with bishounens in stunts)
The 4 episodes, one character dedicated for each episodes, describing their life and self. An old retired assassin, a nicotine addict, a murder-victim swordswoman and a genetically modified man. 4 characters, 4 epsiodes.
As the title suggested, there were bullets and of course, blood. Crazy stories leading to huge unexpected massacre. I love it, not only because there are bishounens, it's because it's a rather fresh idea to use anime solely to describe the characters which were originated from a manga series.
The suspense the anime left for the viewers is a way of marketing the manga. Viewers who were awed by the handsome bishounens or the amazing guns or stunts, they will be very much eager to catch up with the manga. Hence, a manga sales boost.
The art was defintely detailed, maybe because it was just meant to be a 4 episode anime. They even have individual ending videos. But the opening theme only lasted for a few seconds. == They should have did something to it.
It would have been better if they extended it, but it might reduce the detail.
Eye candy, eye candies!
After DOGS : Bullets and Carnage, this was the second anime DVD I've got with high quality widescreen episodes. Seems like Malaysian DVD producers now know the markets' needs.
It makes me feel much better watching anime of DVD quality and yet not so much pixelated as to compared to Baccano! which was highly SD video quality. *MY EYES!!!*
*feeling contented and happy*
"There is an urban legend in Japan about an underground subway line that moves without limitations. The rumor is only gorgeous men ride a train that is known as the Miracle Train.
And if you were to happen upon this line, you would undoubtedly fall into a complete state of happiness.
Being touched by a ray of light, granting her access to enter into the Oedo Line platform, where the Miracle Train runs. As the doors open up, the space inside is very different, as six handsome men await you inside.
According to the conductor the leadership of these six gentlemen and the female guide, when women have worries or insecurities, the Miracle Train will appear.
With names matching the stations along the line, these fabulous gentlemen, whose bonds together are tight, despite their different personalities, will erase all of your worries and fears. " -Anime News Network
Ratings : 7/10
(Recommended for normal anime viewers though it's also loaded with bishounens.)
The first thing I realised upon starting the first episode was I felt rather disturbed. It was because of the distance between the characters eyes. It's been quite some time since I last watched an anime with characters of eyes with quite some distance in between.
And I have always stood by my point that men with tux or suits, or simply to put in - formal, look best. So was this anime.
I have always loved the fact that the anime actually translated station names and some of the fun facts about the station into characters and its personality. I couldn't really imagine what would we get if we ever try to translate our stations.
The art was just OK, makes it like some normal acceptable anime. And plot wise, it went smooth with the guys helping trouble ladies (and some men) and like common animes, it had certain problems along the way but still negligible, UNTIL, it came to a point where the problem becomes significant (signifies the anime's reaching its climax) and yeah, there went the characters solving it. So, the plot was just an OK too.
And from the way the stated the seiyuu's names in the opening theme itself, I've realised that they actually had the famous seiyuus in line for the stations:
Fumi Roppongi
voiced by Kenn (Ronald Knox, Kuroshitsuji)
Shintarou Shinjuku
voiced by Ryotaro Okiayu (Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach; Shigure Souma, Fruits Basket)
Izayoi Tsukishima
voiced by Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis, Kuroshitsuji)
Itsumi Ryougoku
voiced by Masakazu Morita (Ichigo Kurosaki, Bleach)
Iku Shiodome
voiced by Yuuki Kaji (Finny, Kuroshitsuji; Walker Yumasaki, Durarara!!!)
(sidenote: Ganryu Hanakiri, Otome Youkai Zakuro)
Saki Tochou
voiced by Tomokazu Sugita (Kyon, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi; Takumi Mayama, Honey and Clover)
(sidenote: Takenaga Oda, The Wallflower)
The anime pretty much reminded me of Fruits Basket, talking about life problems and solving them, sometimes with tears. The only episode when I sheded tears was when the 6 stations had to grant a dead girl's last wish. TwT
I like the anime which also has some documentary element where it promotes and teaches the viewers things about the Oedo line of the Japanese railway system. From train designs to stations passengers, it's a really informative anime, and it has given me some sort of urge to board the train in Japan. D=
Too bad they didn't include subtitles for the fun facts stated on the screen. Should have downloaded the anime when the torrent seeds were still active back then. DX
Last but not least to end my annual anime critic post -












No comments:
Post a Comment